Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1)Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I was in a reading slump from being in the middle of too many current reads and thus, after watching a Booktube video about New Adult book recommendations, I decided to give this a go. I think I watched another video talking about how reading a light, breezy romance was just the thing to get one out of a reading slump, so I decided to go ahead with one. I specifically picked New Adult because, being a new adult myself, I knew I'd be kept interested in that aspect of the story even if the book ended up disappointing.

I was so delighted to find that it most certainly DID NOT disappoint. It truly took me by surprise how sweet and fresh this story was--though, I haven't read a whole lot of New Adult or much romance at all in the past few years.

Sure, there were a lot of cliches, but going into a romance novel, one is prepared for that. What I enjoyed about this book was the fact that the characters were all so wonderfully three dimensional and very differentiated from each other. The story was not repetitive at all--which, for me, is the fatal flaw of romance novels--and it was only the last third that felt a bit stretched out.

Deafness is not something I've ever read about in fiction, and especially didn't expect to encounter it in a romance novel. But Ridge's deafness was what made his character stand out and take on so much personality. I personally squeed at their having to text each other to communicate even while in the same room, because of Ridge being deaf. I'm something of a texting addict of late and I just enjoyed that little quirk of this story.

The other characters were very fun and each had little eccentricities that made them stand out. Warren cracked me up quite a bit. Maggie was the only one of the main characters I didn't really like all that much, but that could be for obvious reasons.

The music theme was also very lovely for me. Although, I felt the songs themselves weren't that awesome, I knew that wasn't the point.

The writing was quite decent in this. There were no atrocious romance novelish phrases and descriptions. It didn't wow, but definitely worked for the purpose of the story. Simple, light, fun.

In all, I don't regret reading this. As for whether it pulled me out of my reading slump--well, it was the first and only book I FINISHED reading in April, so I would say yes, it did.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment